The Minister of Health, on the recommendation of the Pricing Committee, in terms of section 22G of the Medicine and Related Substances Act, 1965 (Act No. 101 of 1965), requests information to be supplied by persons licensed to dispense in terms of Section 22C (1) (a) of the Act, for the review of the annual dispensing fee for 2015.
The Pricing Committee intends to collect data from the relevant stakeholders to inform a structured review of the dispensing fee for 2015. Persons licensed to dispense in terms of Section 22C (1) (a) of the Act are requested to provide proposals for a methodology for a systematic review which would consider the following factors:
- Expenses incurred in running the dispensing portion of a dispensing practice
- Income generated from dispensing medicines in a practice
- Feasibility and practical considerations of carrying out a systematic review
Parties are further requested to comment on the availability of data on costs and income apportioned to the dispensing portion of a practice namely-
- Inputs and Variables – Expenses:
- Personnel – that is the person who is licensed under Section 22C (1)(a) of the Act.
- Overheads – e.g. rental, telephones, standard equipment costs etc.
- Preparing and dispensing prescriptions – e.g. dispensary packaging materials, etc.
- Inputs and Variables – Income:
- Items dispensed for which a fee can be levied
- Dispensing fee claimed/charged per item
- Data capturing:
- Computer systems which are used to capture dispensing fee data
- Separate costs that are specific for:
- Dispensing only
- General practice only
- Shared costs for dispensing and general practice
- Geographical size (m2) of the following areas:
- Dispensing Area
- General area
- Shared areas for dispensing and general practice
- Total area
Interested persons are invited to submit any substantiated comments and representations on the Minister’s intended review, on a compact disc and a hard copy within three months from the date of publication of this notice to:
The Director-General: National Department of Health
For Attention: Director (Pharmaceutical Economic Evaluations)
Room 419 South Tower
Corner Thabo Sehume & Bloed Streets
For any further enquires please contact Mr S Mngadi
Telephone: 012 395 8185; e-mail: mndadshealth.gov.za
Dr A MOTSOALEDI, MP
MINISTER OF HEALTH